List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kplayer vs. kmplayer
From:       Koos Vriezen <koos.vriezen () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-17 12:45:21

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Martin Koller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have seen, that there are 2 very similar applications,
> one called kmplayer at http://www.xs4all.nl/~jjvrieze/ and
> one called kplayer at http://sourceforge.net/projects/kplayer/
>
> My question is: Wouldn't it be beneficial if these 2 projects work together to
> build one superb application for KDE ?

Sure we could :). However these projects aren't that similar if you take a
closer look at the features (I had this discussion before with the
author of kumaplayer).
KMPlayer has a main focus on embedding, like mplayer-plug/kaboodle. I've
put much effort in making it play almost everything on the web, adding
javascript binding to it etc. Last addition is a koffice plugin for video
inside a presentation (not functional yet).
It also tries to be more then just a frontend to mplayer, currently also
mencoder/xine/ffmpeg (all three only partial implemented now, and ffmpeg
is more a workaround for the s*cking v4l support of mplayer - will check
xine version one day..).

I think KPlayer is more an app like noatun, a full featured stand-alone
media viewer.
The only way I see an intergration now is that KPlayer would use
libkmplayercommon or something similar as interface to mplayer. But I
think Kiriuja wouldn't just like to give up on the current efforts. Also
KPlayer seems to be quite pupular. And I must say it looks very impressive
from the screenshots I've seen. (KMPlayer as a stand-alone app. has a very
poor interface, anyone who want to improve it is very much welcome or
indeed port/fork KPlayer for it)

There should be done something about the name issue, I think. KMPlayer
supporting more than mplayer now, I should think of a new name.
Suggestions :) ?

Regards,

Koos