List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Alternative to csqueeze (was Re: [Patch] Usability improved in
From:       Max Howell <kde.org () methylblue ! com>
Date:       2003-08-17 11:53:50

On Thursday 14 August 2003 20:14, Martin Koller wrote:
> That was already done up till now, but with a maximum width of 25
> characters. So when you have some path and at the end the program name
> (e.g. " - konqueror") this very fast fills up 25 chars and leads to useless
> entries, like:
>
> file://home/martin...konqueror
> file://home/martin...konqueror
> file://home/martin...konqueror
>
> So the main problem is not the look'n feel (ellipsis or fadeout), it's the
> displayed length!
>
> You say displaying the whole text is not good - OK, I can see your problem.
> But then we would also need to change the display of the window title when
> you have grouped tasks in the taskbar and you click on the group button. It
> gives you also currently the full text and nobody complained about that.
> E.g. see
> http://members.aon.at/m.koller/taskgroup.png

Showing the whole window title is not acceptable, but neither is showing a
list of indentical strings like your example above. I propose a solution
where the results of a centre squeeze are examined, and if identical/too
similar the strings are scanned for their differences and a portion of this
is shown in each string, eg:

/home/Documents/5-may-03/monkeys/elephants.text
/home/Documents/5-aug-03/monkeys/elephants.text
/home/Documents/5-oct-03/monkeys/elephants.text

would become something like:

/home/Doc...5-may-03.../elephants.text
/home/Doc...5-aug-03.../elephants.text
/home/Doc...5-oct-03.../elephants.text

although that's a rather ideal case, and I imagine the following would be
sufficient:

/home/Doc...may...ants.text
/home/Doc...aug...ants.text
/home/Doc...oct...ants.text

I'm interested in writing a patch, but would appreciate some comments before I
go about it. Is this a good solution, or am I being daft?

Max
--
http://www.methylblue.com/filelight/ - Filelight for KDE