List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Patch] #48264: added a Today button in kdatepicker
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2003-08-14 8:24:43

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 August 2003 18:16, Martin Koller wrote:
>> The subject says it. The attached patch adds a "Today" button in the
>> bottom area of the datepicker.
>>
>> If OK, please commit, I have no CVS right.
>
> Not OK. To me it reads like "Today Week 33" - which is ugly. For
> korganizer it might be useful, but for kicker it looks ugly and nonsense.
> Taking that closing and reopening the picker gives you today.

Sorry Stephan, but I don't agree with you on this (I didn't test it so I
can't say anything about its look).
Actually, the clock applet is about the only place where a "today" button
doesn't make sense. That's because there the widget not used as a date
picker, but rather misused as a calendar widget. So I'd say add a flag so
that the today button can be disabled, but make it enabled by default.

The other occurences of KDatePicker, where a today makes sense, are (thanks
to lxr.kde.org):
-) kfind (there you don't have any other possibility to get to today)
-) kpilot's (not yet finished) calendar editor
-) kstars (added its own "Now" button to get around the missing button)
-) even in kcontrol's clock module it would make sense to have the today
button. Otherwise you'll have to switch to a different module, and then
enter the root password again.

-) kgpg's key expiration dialog
-) knodes "subscribe" dialog (search for new groups)

Granted, for the the last two the today button is not so important, but for
the others it would be really handy.

Greetings,
Reinhold