List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font embedding -- TrueType
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-08-13 21:42:22

Lars Knoll wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 August 2003 07:27, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>I have found that there *IS* a reason not to embed fonts -- TrueType fonts
>>at least.
>

> Just FYI, there is also a big reason against it, at least when printing to a
> postscript/pdf file: Document portability. Without embedding you cannot rely
> on the receiver of the document seeing it exactly the same way you do.

You can have GhostScript or Acrobat embed the font when you make a PDF.
Which would, again, be a better solution.  Not embedding would also be the
normal choice when you send out a PS to be printed.

But, in both cases, either the bug needs to be fixed on the PS files need
to be edited by hand first. :-(

But, I was just talking about printing on you own system.

Is there any chance that Qt will have the feature like Scribus to choose
which fonts are embedded?

>>Currently the Type 42 font embedding in Qt doesn't work so TrueType fonts
>>are converted to Type 3 fonts which results is a loss of rendering quality.
>
> The quality loss you get from the conversion is rather small on high
> resolution printers. What you loose is hinting and the effect of hinting gets
> less and less as your resolution increases.

Perhaps your converter is better than: "ttf2pt1" -- Type 1 fonts made with
it don't look very good.

--
JRT