List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A better configuration system - Was: Re: Gconf2
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-08-13 7:26:49

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 09:16, David Findlay wrote:
> Okay, so gconf2 might suck for KDE.
>
> But here's the my reasons why something different is needed:
>
> - No configuration history - can't see when and who changed stuff
This sounds nice to have. But techically KConfig relies on a backend
and nothing speaks against storing these informations too in the backend.

> - No way to roleback changes
This goes together with the above.

> - Could work in with Kiosk mode, allowing administrators to control some
> settings, while leaving others to users
Kiosk _is_ based on kconfig, so this is either a contra point or no argument
at all.

> - Configurations could be stored seperately from home directories for easy
> management
Haem, stored where then? in /tmp ? That's at least the only other place my
user can write to.

> - When i want to change a setting manually i have to find the text file. In an
> ideal system you could open a registry browser, follow the tree to a property
> and modify it.
Which you have to find too, no? What makes a file browser different to
a registry browser?

Greetings, Stephan