List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The great destroy mystery.
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-08-08 0:27:59

On Thursday 07 August 2003 20:04, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> In my object destructor, do I need to explicitly destroy object pointers
> declared as member variables and initialized with _new_ or not?  I can't
> find any consistent info on this. The C++ FAQ says that such objects are
> "automagically" destroyed when the parent object is destroyed. Elsewhere
> in the same FAQ, it says that one _must_ call delete for every new. ??
> And if I explicitly destroy an object in my destructor, do I risk
> destroying an object that has already been destroyed, thereby causing
> havoc?  "Thinking in C++" has the following statement with regard to
> _delete_:

   You have to delete anything that you "new".  With Qt, however, if you "new"
a QObject derived object and parent it appropriately, it will automatically
be deleted for you.

kspeakPart::kspeakPart()
{
      m_process = 0;
}

> kspeakPart::~kspeakPart()
> {
>     delete m_process;
> }

  That's how it should look.  You must initialise the pointer to 0 if you do
not immediately allocate it.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/