List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: quick tab access in konqueror
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-08-06 21:31:24

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 02:31:20PM -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Wednesday August 6 2003 13:35, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the effect doesn't look too nice on my system.  It shows
> > (eventually) an "X" button above where the icon should be, with a dark gray
> > background where the button is supposed to fit in.
> I think too that the effect is very bad. Also, it kinda defeats the purpose of
> having a *quick* way to close a tab since one has to wait for the button to
> appear.

Yes. for me this pause is veery long. I thought is only for me (I have
some problems compiling Konq and it worked only after commenting out few
lines of code :/)

> And it's not intuitive at all. Who would think of hovering the mouse
> over the tab's icon to close the tab?
> Why not
> 1) Put a permanent button on the *current* tab only that would close the tab.

What for other tabs? I prefer to see favicons there for quick
recognition of them. There should also be possibility to close them with
tab-icon - it is even more important that for current tab.

> 2) Agree on a KDE-wide standard for keyboard-based tab traversal.

100% agree.
BTW I have impression they are already standarised.

My settings (personalized):
Go one Tab left:  Ctrl+PageUp
Go one Tab right: Ctrl+PageDown
Move Tab left:    Ctrl+Left
Move Tab right:   Ctrl+Right

This is only example. I suggested them some time ago and was told it is
impossible to implement them in Konsole(?) or something.

One more feature in moving tabs would be moving them in circle, not
line: Ctrl+Left on first tab currently does nothing. It should move this
tab to far right.

m.