List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fonts ... ARGH!!!
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-08-03 18:09:06

Craig Drummond wrote:

> The reason being not every app is compiled against FreeType2. KDE and Qt don't
> require FreeType/Xft as far as I'm aware. Hence the aliases are neccessary.

In that case, it should only screw up if you haven't build it with them.  I have built it
against the current versions of FontConfig & FreeType2 and I have XFT from XFree86-4.3.0.

> My code can read the PS name as I read the actual .ttf files - Qt/KDE do not.
>
> Perhaps you should file a bug report with Qt? ie. get them to try and open the
> TTF file to get the real PS name if the font is not embedded.

I need to establish that the problem isn't limited to KOffice first.

>>Or perhaps someone just doesn't realize that the "Full Font name" and the
>>"Postscript name" are NOT the same -- you can't just remove the blanks.
>
> Nope. I don't think fontconfig access the PS name, hence the aliases will be
> required. But I guess you can get this via the method above.

Yes, FontConfig only provides the (full path) font file name.  Then FreeType2 must open
it.  After the file has been opened in FreeType2, then a FreeType2 method (or something)
can provide the PS file name -- FT_Get_Postscript_Name

http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-base_interface.html

--
JRT