List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Lower case URLs?
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-08-02 22:09:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Petter E. Stokke wrote:
>The key word being "usual". A number of applications depend on URLs that
>don't even pretend to be RFC compliant,

Then they have to be fixed.

Since my addition and fixes of IDNA implementation, KURL now respects all
rules defined in  RFC 3491 (Nameprep: A Stringprep Profile for
Internationalized Domain Names (IDN)) if you have libidn installed. If you
don't, it'll just fold the hostname to lowercase.

>or even if they are have nothing
>to do with the Internet, and it would be a mistake to make assumptions
>about the case insensitivity of any part of a URL for which the protocol
>isn't known to exhibit this property.

URLs are defined with case insensitive hostnames. A protocol where hostnames
are case sensitive (there is no such thing in DNS) probably will have a hard
time using URLs at all.

>Especially given the kioslave system and its potential multitude of
>various protocol implementations, I'd consider this property of KURL (if
>that is, as it seems to be, where the problem lies) a Very Bad Thing and
>ask that it be reverted, or at least constrained to protocols for which
>it's known that converting to lower case would be safe.

I won't revert my commit because that would simply remove IDNA support in KDE.
Kioslaves have to be implemented with case-insensitive hostnames. Otherwise
that's abusing the ioslave system (IMO).

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom@mail.com