List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Upgrading to 3_1_BRANCH
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-07-28 18:49:35

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
<SNIP>
> From: "kdmrc":
> <<
> # The PATH for the Session program. Default is
> # /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
> UserPath=${prefix}/bin:/usr/kde3/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
> # The PATH for Setup, Startup and Reset, etc. Default is
> # /sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
> SystemPath=${prefix}/bin:/usr/kde3/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
>
>  >>
<SNIP>
> While I am at it, I might mention that it isn't correct for the defaults
> to contain: "/usr/X11R6/bin".  It causes problems.  This piece should be
> added to the path in your: "/etc/profile" script.  Actually it needs to
> be added in: "/etc/profile" otherwise you will have other problems

It also appears that install added: "/usr/kde3/bin" to the path.  At least
I didn't add it.  This is also questionable -- it should not be added here
either.  That is, I don't think that KDM should add anything to the PATH.
It should just set the path that: "init" sets.

"/root":

/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin

user accounts:

/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

if your are going to have the "Xsession" script run profile -- either by
being a login script, or directly as in the current default: "Xsession" script.

One thing to consider is that if these are not already set (and profile
should set them) that the calls in the 'case' need to have full paths.

E.G.:

case "$session" in
     gnome)
	exec /usr/bin/startgnome
	;;
     kde)
	exec /usr/kde3/bin/startkde
	;;
     default)
	if test -x $HOME/.xsession; then
	    exec $HOME/.xsession
	fi
	;;
     failsafe)
	exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
	;;
esac

Note1: IMHO if: "profile" fails to add: "/usr/X11R6/bin" to the PATH, this
is a system configuration error.

The: "profile" script for current RedHat distros adds it -- see the 'setup'
RPM.

Note2: There can be a great deal of discussion about how the 'case' should
be set up after the first two items, and I don't really have an opinion on
what is correct.  Specifically: (1) should the script fail unless one of
the enumerated choices is passed to it? (2) should "failsafe" need to be
specifically chosen or should it be "*" or should "exec xterm -geometry
80x24-0-0" be moved to after the 'case' so that it is a fall back?

If we need to check for: "$KDEDIR/bin" in the PATH, this should be in:
"startkde".

Note that it is much easier to check the PATH and add something if it is
missing than to add something and then check for duplication.

Also, are we setting/checking "KDEDIR" somewhere?  IIUC, on a system which
uses 'profile.d' scripts, that that is the correct place to set this as
well as add to the PATH.  At least that is the way I have done it on my system.

/etc/profile.d/kde.sh:

# KDE initialization script (sh)

KDEDIR="/usr/kde3"

PATH="$PATH:/usr/kde3/bin"

export  KDEDIR PATH

Yes, I know that not all systems have 'profile.d' and that checking would
complicate the install, and that an install to 'profile.d' is outside of
the 'prefix'.

--
JRT