List:       kde-devel
Subject:    usability bug in clock applet
From:       Greg Day <gregday () ecsis ! net>
Date:       2003-07-26 12:33:18

After wiping out some of my config and updating from HEAD, I tried to change
the Kicker clock applet to Plain instead of the default, Digital.  The first
thing I thought to do was right-click and choose "Configure Clock..."

Then from the list I chose Plain clock, yet the Apply button remained greyed
out and unclickable.  So I checked an option box here and there ("ah, now it
is clickable!") and hit Apply, yet it remained Digital.

It took me well over 30 minutes of looking at the config files and messing
with this config dialog to realize I could only change what type of clock I
wanted by doing a right-click and selecting from "Type >"

When a user has selected a clock type to configure from the dialog, shouldn't
the current one being shown from the list because the current type when Apply
or OK is hit?

If not, it seems that the clock and it's dialog are at somewhat of a
disconnect from each other.  At the very least, shouldn't the text in the
dialog say "Clock type to configure" rather than just "Clock type:" as this
leads the user to think this is how he can change which clock he wants?

Greg