List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kcalc: The killer application?
From:       Russell Steffen <rsteffen () bayarea ! net>
Date:       2003-07-23 6:48:04

This talk about kcalc reminded me that earlier this year I thought about
a few features I'd like to see in Kcalc and was going to implement if I
had time. Needless to say I haven't had time, but this is what I was
thinking of:

- arbitrary precision & fixed-point math
- "programmer's calculator" mode - basically an extension to the
  existing hex/dec/oct mode that lets you constrain the result to an
  8, 16, 32, 64, or 128 bit value, signed or unsigned, then lets
  you do the usual arithmatic and all the relevant bitwise boolean
  operaions.
- Allow it to disappear (possibly into the system tray, like kmix) when
  not in use and pop back up with a hot key. Of course you can simulate
  that now by assigning a kicker hot key to launch kcalc, but this would
  allow kcalc to preserve state, which would be even more important if
  there were a papertape-type history function.
- Ignore num-lock (the number keypad should always produce numbers)

And then, I was thinking about the design of most GUI calculators, and
I was wondering - does anyone ever use the GUI number buttons? That always
struck me as the most ineffecient way possible to enter a number.

-- Russ

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Klaus Niederkrueger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the subject line, maybe it is too "sexed up", but I also would
> like to convince people to do some crazy effort.
>
> What do you think about the follwing things:

[snip]