List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kcalc: The killer application?
From:       Klaus Niederkrueger <kniederk () MI ! Uni-Koeln ! DE>
Date:       2003-07-22 16:19:10

> > - Add units: meter, kg, Watt, Joule (and also medivial black magic units:
> >  miles (nautic/international/land/statute/geographical etc), stones,
> > ounces, tons, and such ;-))
> >
> > - Add constants with units: electron mass, gravity constant, Planck, etc.
> >
> > - Add symbolic computation....
> >
> > Of course the question is how to do the latter things, and I would suggest
> > using ginac (http://www.ginac.de).
>
> I wouldn't add symbolic computations simply because I don't think the
> calculator-style UI is not the most suitable for that.

I agree, but the main reason I thought about that is that you need
symbolic computation (at least pseudo-symbolic) for the unit conversion:

You want to type

0.5 * 9.81m/s^2 * (2.0 s)^2  and get as result 19.62m.

> As for the units stuff, you may want to check out
> http://www.netmeister.org/apps/kunit/index.html

I just had a look at the screenshot, but this program seems only to be
capable of changing one unit to the other, not of doing calculations with
them.

	Klaus