List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: new KDE Development book
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-21 10:29:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Montag, 21. Juli 2003 10:17, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:14 pm, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Now, enough talk. Should we get going with a separate CVS module or
> > should we start in kdenonbeta first ?  (where I don't have a good feeling
> > that too many people would put their stuff there :) so a kde-books
> > (because the contents will span more than one book I guess :-) module is
> > probably the best way to go. Any volunteers for generating the automake
> > framework and putting it in CVS ? BTW this would also have the advantage
> > that we could make exercise programs *inside* this module and one can
> > compile the book together with the exercises :))
>
> Before we code our book, perhaps a bit of design and coding standards work.
>
> Assuming DocBook, I imagine that we are talking about
> Book
> Part
> Chapter
> Section1
> Section2
>
> What stuff belongs at what level? For example, there was discussion of a
> C++ intro - where does that go?

I've been talking with clee on IRC this morning and I think actually we'll
have more than one "book". We need one for C++, one for Qt and one for each
library, starting with turning a Qt example program from the Qt book into a
KDE program with QApplication -> KApplication and QSettings -> KConfig, tr()
-> i18n(), all in the KDE Core book. Then comes DCOP, KDE UI, etc.

The reason for this is also that this needs to be maintainable alongside any
API changes and conceptual changes so a book per library seems to be the best
solution.

Ralf

 What about the PyKDE description? How do we
> fit in stuff like:
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/dot/panel-applets.html or
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/dot/dcopiface/dcop-interfa
>ce.html (assuming that the authors agree to licensing and re-use).
>
> Which DocBook? XML or SGML?
>
> How do authors get recognised? What about editors, reviewers and
> contributors?
>
> Do we include compilable examples (as opposed to fragments) as inline, or
> do we use hacks like:
> <programlisting>
> <inlinegraphic fileref="examples/example.c" format="linespecific">
> </programlisting>
> </example>
>
> What license do the examples fall under? Can readers use bits of them in
> proprietary or BSD licensed code?
>
> [Yep, I'm excited by the concept too!]
>
> Brad

Ralf Nolden