List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: new KDE Development book
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2003-07-21 9:24:27

On Monday 21 July 2003 10:08, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Monday 21 July 2003 09:37, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> > My suggestion: Try to cover all significant points in the book. But don't
> > try to cover every little detail. That is doomed to fail. Instead set up
> > a Wiki on developers.kde.org. We can easily make that "our" MSDN.
>
> Do we really need a Wiki? We already have developers.kde.org, where all
> developers have write access to via CVS. My feeling is that it would be
> more productive to spend some work into maintaining this site instead of
> setting up yet another different system.

The idea of setting up a Wiki has been discussed several times already, and
although it has never been put into application, I'm among those who think it
would be a very good thing. The problem with the current site is that cvs
access is not very practical, at least compared to how easy Wiki makes it to
add new info or update old one. This is really what makes wiki so compelling,
it's extremely easy to use, much more so than editing HTML and committing it
in a cvs repository.

On the other hand, due to the lack of strong editing features (all you have is
your usual browser's multiline text field), Wiki isn't suitable for large
documents. Editing something more than a page long quickly gets very tedious,
so you have to break things up in smaller pieces.

--
						Guillaume.
						http://www.telegraph-road.org