List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: new KDE Development book
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-19 7:39:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Samstag, 19. Juli 2003 09:11, Chris Lee wrote:
> Holy crap.
>
> You're teaching your kid C++ before you teach him English?
>
> No _wonder_ you Germans get so much coding done. :)

My approach for teaching - which is the reason why I think this needs to be
included and I will write this down from my teaching experience is that you
need to put this on the table:

C++ is:

. -> * & ::

Then you're set :-)

Syntax:

returntype function ( parameter list ) { implementation}

keywords are:

class, new, delete, public, private, protected, return

preprocessor commands are: (always starting with a #):
#include <filename>
#incude "filename"
#define foo bar
#ifdef foo
#ifndef foo
#endif

Qt adds:

keywords: public slots: protected slots: private slots: signals:

You can easily learn C++ while you get into KDE/Qt development. Which is what
is missing from *any* other programming environment learning books. And which
is why I want to do things different for our book (which shouldn't concern
you if I write that part by myself and take an absolute beginner to test this
for effectiveness on learning C++ with Qt)

Ralf

> -clee
>
> On Friday 18 July 2003 11:58, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> > >
> > > I honestly don't think that can work. C++, even coated with Qt, is not
> > > suitable as a first language.
> >
> > IM(h)O: It is.
> >
> > Ask my son who just started learning C++ as his first language, even
> > before starting english.
> >
> > C++ is OK for beginners if you start with the basics and try to make the
> > learning curve less steep - e.g. by using a step-to-step approach in
> > your main sample program that is enhanced in every chapter, while having
> > tiny little exercise proggies in each chapter that show one single
> > element of the language.
> >
> > So the user would have two areas of pratcise (and of success):
> >
> > a) the ever growing main sample
> >
> > b) the small mini proggies that show clearly one aspect each.
> >

> > Karl-Heinz

> >> unsubscribe <<

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org