List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Sendfile in kio_file
From:       Roger Larsson <roger.larsson () norran ! net>
Date:       2003-07-18 23:34:57

On lördagen den 19 juli 2003 01.14, George Staikos wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2003 13:31, Szombathelyi GyXrgy wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Any comments on this?
> >
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=105769406307106&w=2
>
>   I'm sorry that no-one has responded to this.  I see no reason not to
> include this patch.  It seems quite safe.  I have committed it to CVS.
> Thank you for contributing!

I kind of waited for results from the test.

"On my system (one IBM120GXP hard drive) copy operations are very I/O
dependant, so frankly I didn't noticed any speed difference between the
two methods, maybe CPU and memory usage is a bit smaller. Also I think
reliable benchmark tests should run on very large files to inhibit the
effect of the OS cache.

Regards, György"

[My 50 öre]
If it does not give any measurable/measured gain, but on the same time
complicates the code (yes, it does: several ifdefs obfuscates control flow)
why include it?

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson