List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Problem building KDEMultimedia
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-07-08 1:48:56

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>Using: Linux 2.4.21 Kernel built from source GCC-3.3 built from source.
>>/usr/include/asm/byteorder.h:42: error: '__u64' is used as a type, but is
>>not defined as a type.
>>
>>The problem is that the header: "cdrom.h" in the Kernel-2.4.21 breaks it.
>>I builds correctly with the 2.4.20 header file.
>>
>>Is this a Kernel bug? or a KDE bug?
>

> Neither.
>
> The problem is that __u64 is not safely used in the kernel headers. It would
> have to be declared before the faulting header is included. There's a
> workaround for this problem on bugs.kde.org (I don't remember the bug
> number).
>
> The correct solution, however, is to never touch one's kernel headers. One
> should always use the kernel headers that were used to build glibc. The
> kernel headers that come with a new kernel are used for building that kernel
> and that's all. User programs compiling should not see your new kernel's
> header files.

Not sure exactly how this would apply if GLibc is also built from source.

As on many systems with a Kernel built from source, my:

/usr/include/asm
/usr/include/config
/usr/include/linux
/usr/include/math-emu
/usr/include/pcmcia
/usr/include/video

directories are links to the: "/usr/src/linux/include" directory.

Should I rebuild it GLibc with the new Kernel's headers?

--
JRT