List:       kde-devel
Subject:    InterProcess Comunication
From:       Ryan Bean <rbean () lycoris ! com>
Date:       2003-07-07 21:54:14

I have a KApplication 'a' which forks a KApplication 'b' using KProcess
and both are registered using the dcopClient() method from KProcess.
 'a' needs to send data to 'b' right at the start of 'b'.  I need a way
to have 'a' wait on some signal from 'b', and some way for 'b' to signal
'a'.  I've tried many many ways.  I got a responce from someone
subgesting that I have 'b' notify 'a' via dcop.  The only method I see
with dcop is a send function which allows data to be sent, but the data
will not arrive if the receiver is not ready, how can I know in 'b' that
'a' got it, and that 'a' is even ready, and how can I know the same from
'a' to 'b'?  The send function for a dcopClient has a bool return,
SAYING it returns success on send.  But it returns true even when 'b'
was not ready, and my app gets no message.  If I use a KMessageBox in
'a' to manually wait for 'b' to start, it works, if I use a sleep, 'a'
stalls until 'b' is complete.

--
Ryan Bean
Software Developer