List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KWin::info.pid
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2003-06-25 14:37:55

On Wednesday 25 of June 2003 00:52, Nathan Gray wrote:
> Roger Larsson wrote:
[snip]
> Ah, now I'm noticing something interesting.  *All* nedit windows return pid
> 0 in the loop.  It must be something about NEdit not setting the window
> property.

 Yes, it's so. NEdit doesn't have support for this property.

> If anybody knows what a client needs to do to make the code
> above work please let me know.  In the meantime I'll try to figure it out
> for myself.

 I personally think that embedding an application that itself doesn't support
being embedded will always be an ugly hack, whichever way you do it. For this
NEdit case, you could try searching windows for NEdit's WM_CLASS property
(xprop | grep WM_CLASS to see what I mean). The Xlib function is called
XGetClassHint(), and you could possibly also read
http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#s-4.1.2.5 , and be aware of the
fact that many apps have this screwed up, and set it differently than the
specification says.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer