List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE CVS Developers Edition of Knoppix (Knopdex)
From:       James Michael Greenhalgh <jgreenhalgh () opendoorsoftware ! com>
Date:       2003-06-25 3:05:59

Hi all,

I caught some discussion on kde-promo with respect to a KDE CVS edition of
Knoppix that I have been working on: "Knopdex".  The focus on the disk is not
only the latest KDE from CVS HEAD, but the development tools to accompany it.
I've tried to include as many of the latest
developer/documentation/translation tools and docs that I could think of, but
as always I will be looking for feedback.  Some of the possibilities of usage
are:
- - - wannabe kde developer can get up and going very quickly
- - - translators can understand context of word usage without sacrificing their
more stable builds
- - - documentation writers can do the same
- - - other non technical users can sneak a peek at development progress
- - - alternative future versions built with debugging for quick developer usage
(ie download/burn iso, boot, check bug)

Anyway, I have a first edition to release, but I am genuinely concerned with
some of the discussion I've seen, not only with this Knoppix project, but
with my KDE CVS Debian repository.  I've seen Scott Wheeler's sentiments on
kde-promo@[1], on the dot[2] and we've spoke about it on #kde-devel (I'm orth
for those who don't recognize the name), and I know he is not alone in his
feelings, as I caught the full discussion on development releases on
kde-core-devel@[3]  I think I can summarise the issue at hand (pardon the
oversimplification):  Making CVS easy for someone to be able to install/run
allows for the average user who otherwise would not be able to run CVS HEAD,
to do so.  This results in half implemented features getting bug reports,
feelings of low quality software and other developer/user aggravations.

Now with that said, in my defence, I'd like to think I do provide some
valuable packages and time saving to users who are developers, would be
developers, translators or those who want the latest bleeding edge and
understand the price they may have to pay in terms of stability; much ike
myself.  I also monitor kde-cvs@, kde-devel@ and kde-core-devel@ and try to
perform my builds at quiet times when stability is relatively good.  Also,
catching bugs while the code change is still fresh in the developers mind is
a good thing.  Skilled users are not the only ones who will catch bugs and
heading problems off before they can grow even larger is good? I would like
to think I do my best to provide releases only at times when things are
fairly stable.  I've also recently included relatively the same warning
verbage on my website[4] as Dan Armak who provides the Gentoo ebuilds of KDE
CVS[5], which I find is a suitable caveat.  Finally my continued packaging
has allowed me to become more comfortable with the whole kde build system,
bug triage, my own cvs commits, preparing Debian for the next release and
general help to KDE developers and KDE itself.

All right, with all this said. what's my point?  I have not released any
information about Knopdex to the general public.  I've mentioned it a couple
times to peers and to a few Debian users on #kde-devel.  I would like to have
some level of support in my effort from the KDE team if I were to release the
information.  I have the capability of access restrictions on my web site or
I can say "If you wan't it, send me an email and let me know and I can tell
you where to download it from" or I can simply make this iso available to the
public (maybe in kdenonbeta?) with suitable warnings or finally, not make it
available at all?  What are the KDE team's feelings on this?

Curious,
James

1. http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-promo&m=105499301905327&w=2
2. http://dot.kde.org/1055452455/1055506340/
3. http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=105266996411015&w=2
4. http://opendoorsoftware.com/cgi/http.pl?p=kdecvs
5. http://cvs.gentoo.org/~danarmak/kde-cvs.html

- --
James Michael Greenhalgh
jgreenhalgh@opendoorsoftware.com
https://opendoorsoftware.com
open minds providing open source solutions