List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: !! need help loading icons/images
From:       Josef Spillner <josef () ggzgamingzone ! org>
Date:       2003-06-24 8:03:09

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 09:29, Jan Ekholm wrote:
> Installing KDE apps is in my humble and ignorant opinion far too hard, but
> the blame probably has to go to the overly complex auto*-tools.

I think it's possible, but not yet fully exploited throughout KDE, so let me
explain a bit.

The concept of multiple resource directories, as supported by KStandardDirs,
could probably be extended a bit.
Some operating systems like the Hurd already support local-overrides-global
directories - imagine multiple transparent layers, and a view on its top.

One such place would be KFileDialog, which displays all KDE icons (maybe with
a higher alpha value) if I browse say ~/.kde/share/icons.
This would need some kind of KDir support (on top of QDir).

So if your application is installed into /home/chakie/kde and follows the KDE
directory structure, it should be possible to add say
KGlobal::dirs()->addPrefix(prefix), where prefix could be defined in
config.h, but since hardcoded values are evil, maybe kderc could support it,
including roaming user support ($HOME/kde in this case).

Right now, apps installed into /where/ever will never show up in kicker, for
instance, and the applications don't find their icons by default.
I wonder whether kde-config could be abused for this task.

Josef

--
Play for fun, win for freedom.