List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Hex editor widget
From:       Russell Miller <rmiller () duskglow ! com>
Date:       2003-06-22 2:13:43

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 03:37:34AM +0200, Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau wrote:

> Hey, here is a first job for you :)
> How would you call the column with the ASCII view and how the one with the
> representation as hexadecimal/decimal/octal/binary? The actual names may be
> not that perfect (no, won't tell, I might bias you ;)

"Long Thingy" and "Short Thingy" hehe
nah... ummm
Maybe just call them "Octal", "Hexadecimal", "Decimal", "Binary" - depending
on what the mode is, and on the other side, ASCII?

> good idea. Wait - isn't ASCII all the chars from 000d to 127d? I guess you
> mean instead all printable (as in isprint() ), right?

Yes.  I don't have a formal CS background so my names for things aren't
always precise.

> Should be doable. Huh - there will be a heck of configuration. And how
> colorfull it might be in the end: bookmarks, selections, value range
> markups... :))
> Should make use of font styles like bold and italic, too, might help some
> people as well.

I think color is generally a good thing.  As long as it's used properly, and
as long as it doesn't make the interface too cluttered, I think it makes the
program much more visually appealing.  There's a reason children like things
with a lot of color.

> Okay. Should go to bed now. But it was so pleasing to see other people looking
> forward to some work of mine so I had pulled some more emails down when
> coming home :)

Yeah, I know that feeling.

--Russell