List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: System Modules for Control Centre
From:       Christian Mueller <cmueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-06-21 17:02:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Sonntag, 22. Juni 2003 17:55 schrieb Philip Scott:
> > You could try to handle that with distro / OS profiles that contain the
> > locations of those files. But you would also have to consider
> > distro and/or application *version numbers* because those things
> > tend to change from time to time.  This would require quite a few
> > maintenance work on top of the actual coding.
>
> Good plan,  I'll tell you what: If these tools ever appear, then I will
> personally Gentooify them, so that's one distro sorted 8*)
>
> > But there's something else:  The professional admins I know
> > tend to write/adapt their own init.d/* scripts so these new
> > modules should also be customisable and be able
> > to use the logic in the shell scripts.
> > BTW, they're not too fond of graphical tools anyway.
> > But that's a different matter ;-)
>
> The perfect solution would be a tool clever enough to read hand-written
> scripts and understand them, and then put changes in the right places.
> (e.g. apache.conf, xf86-config - quite a few people 'roll their own' -
> ideally, our tool would read and write the config file intelligently, not
> overwriting users' changes, and perserving the order of directives etc..)
>
> It is certainly *doable*, but definatly a complex task!
>
> > And you're absolutely correct, this is the classic area
> > where distro makers put their effort, so almost every distro has its
> > own incompatible set of config tools.  The question that'll come up
> > immediately is whether the KCC module plays together with those
> > tools (e.g. they can be used interchangeably and don't overwrite
> > each others' changes)
>
> Perhaps we could collect some distro's tools and kind of amalgamate them
> into one uber-configuration, removing the need for their including their
> own configuration tools?
>
> Regards,
> 	Philip

I found the following post in the thread Daniel Molkentin pointed to
very interesting:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/novehrady/2003-April/000051.html

There seems to be a perl-based backend for config tasks used
in the GNOME project.
So if KDE were relying on script languages for doing the dirty work
behind the control center module anyway then this might be a good
area for a joint effort with the GNOME folks (No argument about
linking to glib or other dependencies on GNOME libs this time...).

Christian.