List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: System Modules for Control Centre
From:       Christian Mueller <cmueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-06-21 16:03:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2003 17:20 schrieb Dik Takken:
> I was actually thinking about 'home-sys-admins' like myself.

Or myself...

> Of course,
> professional Linux Admins use pico/VI, but Linux newbies need easy to use
> tools to manage their Linux box.

I'm not saying that's what distinguishes home users from pros.
I was just talking about some admins I know. :-)
I'm sure there are Linux admins (professional or not) who'd use such
"Klickibunti" tools, especially if it's implemented in a way that
still allows you to use a simple text editor (and maybe also the distros'
own tools) at the same time without invoking chaos.

> Indeed, most tools provided by the distro
> don't work with other distro's, and no single distro provides graphical
> tools for all common tasks. It's still not possible to do certain things
> without having to use command-line tools.
>
> A graphical system administration tool should not do anything
> distribution-specific, but invoke distro-specific bash scripts for
> example. Just supply one set of scripts for each distro and you-re done.
> The KDE part can be developed seperately.

Sounds reasonable to me.  The question is whether you can remote-control
the distro's own scripts in a manner that's fine-grained enough to do what
you need.  Or do you want to write those scripts for each distro yourself?
I'm afraid that would duplicate the effort the distro makers themselves put
into their scripts.  I wouldn't underestimate that.

Christian.