List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: System Modules for Control Centre
From:       Philip Scott <scotty () philipscott ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-06-21 15:28:13

> You could try to handle that with distro / OS profiles that contain the
> locations of those files. But you would also have to consider
> distro and/or application *version numbers* because those things
> tend to change from time to time.  This would require quite a few
> maintenance work on top of the actual coding.

Good plan,  I'll tell you what: If these tools ever appear, then I will
personally Gentooify them, so that's one distro sorted 8*)

> But there's something else:  The professional admins I know
> tend to write/adapt their own init.d/* scripts so these new
> modules should also be customisable and be able
> to use the logic in the shell scripts.
> BTW, they're not too fond of graphical tools anyway.
> But that's a different matter ;-)

The perfect solution would be a tool clever enough to read hand-written
scripts and understand them, and then put changes in the right places. (e.g.
apache.conf, xf86-config - quite a few people 'roll their own' - ideally, our
tool would read and write the config file intelligently, not overwriting
users' changes, and perserving the order of directives etc..)

It is certainly *doable*, but definatly a complex task!

> And you're absolutely correct, this is the classic area
> where distro makers put their effort, so almost every distro has its
> own incompatible set of config tools.  The question that'll come up
> immediately is whether the KCC module plays together with those
> tools (e.g. they can be used interchangeably and don't overwrite
> each others' changes)

Perhaps we could collect some distro's tools and kind of amalgamate them into
one uber-configuration, removing the need for their including their own
configuration tools?

Regards,
	Philip