List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibks/kdeprint build error
From:       Josef Weidendorfer <Josef.Weidendorfer () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-06-10 9:21:01

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 10:36, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Arnold Krille wrote:
> > >I am using unsermake, gcc3.2, flex version 2.5.4, and
> > > builddir!=sourcedir.
> >
> > I believe the problem to be between those two tools you named above: gcc
> > 3.2 and flex 2.5.4. The output of flex is not valid C++ as per g++ 3.2's
> > stricter rules.
> >
> > You have to upgrade flex. I'm using version 2.5.31 and I haven't had any
> > errors, but my checkout is not really new, so I might have not yet seen
> > the same problems you have.
>
> I think that the problem is that bison/flex are not namespace-safe
> and that kdeprint wants to include 2 parsers in the same library.
> Compiled separatly, it's OK. Included in the same file (as with
> --enable-final), the names clash.
>
> I don't know if there's a direct solution for this: for some reasons,
> it's better to have the PPD parser and the Foomatic parser in the
> same library, which seems to be incompatible with --enable-final... :-(

Hi,

is a small sed replacement line not enough for this problem?

Another idea:
Why not use the fantastic spirit C++ parser, part of the Boost library
(http://www.boost.org/libs/spirit/index.html) ?
You can write grammatic rules directly in C++, no external tools needed (like
flex, yacc, bison).
OK, spirit would be a compile-time requirement, but it's C++ headers only, no
library.

Just an idea...
Josef