List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: often complains on kxkb - can not enter symbols in
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-06-09 13:04:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

George Staikos wrote:
>On Sunday 08 June 2003 03:49, Andriy Rysin wrote:
>> More info on this you can probably ask at xfree86.org
>> I think you don't have to change locale to greek but instead you can set
>> up en_US.UTF-8, with encoding set to UTF-8 you'll be able to enter any
>> charachters you want (ideally) :)
>> The best way is to insert it e.g. in ~/.i18n to have it always there when
>> you load KDE.
>
>   Why don't we somehow integrate this information (and possibly some
>automation) into kxkb?  Users don't want to edit configuration files with vi
>and read X11 documents.  They want to be able to click and have access to
>keyboard <foo>.

It's a bit more difficult than that.

First of all, the Compose keymap, which is what we're talking about here, is
loaded by the Xlib depending on the current locale environment. It is used to
interpret the keys symbols coming from the X server and generate the
corresponding character or strings (in case of multibyte encodings). It's
loaded per application and, AFAIK, can't be changed once the application has
been started.

What kxkb does is change the keyboard layout, which is set in the X server.

As for the locale issues, the Compose maps are written in locale-dependent
form. So there is no way of placing Greek (accented) letters in a Latin 1
compose map, for instance. The only compose map that can handle all possible
combinations is the UTF-8 Compose map.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom@mail.com