List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kxkb changes
From:       Ellis Whitehead <ellis () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-06-09 6:23:55

Hello Andriy,

On Sonntag, 8. Juni 2003 10:32, Andriy Rysin wrote:
> - I have problem when switching layouts with keyboard in Mozilla, for some
> reason if I'm in the eidt field in Mozilla and switch layout with hotkey
> (e.g.Ctrl+Alt+K) input is blocked on every second switch. If I do e.g.
> Alt+Tab twice or click somewhere on other window with mouse or switch
> layouts with mouse everything is ok. I did not see this problem with other
> apps. If someone can help me find what problem is (or at lease confirm) I'd
> appreciate it. - the last and most important problem is that starting with
> XFree86 4.3.0 default layouts are gonna be (mostly) one-group only thus for
> layouts with non-latin keys (e.g. cyrillic) you would not be able to
> trigger hot-keys (most notable Ctrl+Alt+K - this hangs layout switching
> from keyboard) because there's no lating 'K' in this layout any more. To
> remove this problem good solution has to be found. One of them may be the
> option to add us group in the layout. More global is to rewrite kxkb to
> switch groups - not the layouts, forming one layout from up to 4 groups
> from different files and switching between them but then again us or some
> other latin one should be in and must be first. The workaround is $nonlatin
> and $oldlayouts mentioned above. You can also switch Ctrl+Alt+K to
> something letter independent like Crtl+Menu, but this does not help other
> hotkeys.

I've gotten persistent requests for the Ctrl+Shift shortcut as it's familiar
under Windows, both from users and from Hetz Ben-Hamo for the user-base he
supports.  Someone filed a feature request last week, and I've recently
written the code to take care of it (but I'm thinking about how/whether to
put it into kdelibs/kaccel before committing it).  What's your opinion on
this solution?

Cheers,
Ellis