List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Flexibility of dockwindow handles
From:       Ravikiran Rajagopal <ravi () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-06-08 22:41:30

Hello,
  Why do we force showing the caption of QDockWindows (in the handles) even
when they are docked? This is really messy for a couple of reasons:
  1. When the widgets are fairly small dockwindows (which are not toolbars),
one cannot give descriptive captions, especially if they are horizontally
oriented. This leads to a usability nightmare.
  2. Using QDockWidgets in more complex container widgets becomes a pain. For
example, let's say that we would like to have dockwidgets in a container
widget (such as tab widgets, QtoolBoxes, etc.). Such a situation is not
uncommon for stacks of detachable tools such as KDevelop's file selector and
other views. Then, since we always display the caption on the handle, it
becomes ugly to display it again in the tab bar or list view. The bottom line
is that we are forcing a specific UI style which may be inconsistent with the
rest of the application.

  I suggest that we allow the application to request that we treat dock window
handles the same as toolbar window handles. The change would be very simple;
in kdelibs/kdefx/kstyle.cpp, on lines 531-2, we would simply check for the
request. Or if that is not feasible, we could create a simple KDE subclass of
QDockWindow, and check for the property using a member function.

  On a related note, how can I get window decorations for undocked
QDockWindows?

Regards,
Ravi