List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating BitTorrent
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2003-06-05 23:18:07

On May 28, 2003 05:57 am, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I have tested BitTorrent. The standard download client works. All you have
> to do is associate application/x-bittorrent to your btdownloadgui.py.
>
> As for integrating with download manager or ioslaves, I don't think it
> would have many benefits. BitTorrent is itself a download manager, since
> every download is by construction complete and uncorrupted. Besides, for
> normal users, running more than one torrent on a single computer may not be
> wise.
>
> If this is really wanted, there's btdownloadheadless.py which simply
> outputs a lot of information to stdout while doing the downloads, which
> could be parsed by another GUI client and then integrated. And there's the
> option of modifying the Python scripts as well.

I love bittorrent, but I hate its interface. a bittorrent IOSlave would be excellent
for several reasons

1. It would bittorrent transfers be managed just like all other KDE transfers. This
way when I click on a .torrent in Konq the download progress dialog could be the
actual progress for the .torrent

2. It would integrate with KGet, now all your downloads (ftp, http, scp, .torrent) can
again be managed in one place

3. It would not use GTK anymore (yay!!!)

4. With a bittorrent ioslave,  you could in theory copy a torrent to an SMB drive, or an
FTP, or a machine via fish... any other protocol supported by kio

A wrapper around btheadless.py is just a hack solution that doesn't allow most of
these advantages to occur.

--
Jason Keirstead, BCS
http://www.keirstead.org