List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Bounding rect of wrapped text - QSyntaxHighlighter
From:       Ravikiran Rajagopal <ravi () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-06-05 14:59:30

On Thursday 05 June 2003 03:47 am, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> >   http://www.eleceng.ohio-state.edu/~ravi/frontman.html
>
> What I acutally meant was the combination in a single app of:
> - a command shell (similar to frontman)
> - a text editor (katepart)

I am currently integrating katepart (actually anything that supports the
KTextEditor interface) into it. Given the nice design of KTextEditor, it is
very simple. It will take a little while before it gets into CVS as my
current source tree is littered with modifications to support MDI.

> - a powerful plotting system integrated into Octave (there's probably
>   some plot widget already out there)

Not really. This is the most pressing problem for Octave. As far as I am
aware, there is GNUplot, KMatPlot and G*plot, none of which really compares
with Matlab's plotting abilities. I lack the time to write a plotter; it
would be a great project for a new KDE/Qt developer to extend KMatPlot (I
don't know how its author would like it, never corresponded with him/her.)

I have settled on a MDI interface similar to KDevelop HEAD. The major issue is
that while there will be a dockable organizer widgets (session list, command
history, documentation list, file view, etc.), dockable tool widgets (konsole
part, etc.), and dockable generic widgets (for plots, S-Plus spread sheet
interfaces), the three main kinds of central widgets (session windows,
editors, documentation viewers) need to be organized intuitively. In
childframe and toplevel MDI modes, the user can decide, but in tabbed and
IDEA-like modes, the user should be able to use everything without having to
read any documentation. Perhaps, kde-devel readers will have some ideas ...

Regards,
Ravi