List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New protocol proposal fishs://
From:       "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm () usm ! edu ! ec>
Date:       2003-05-31 0:00:38

I think this is circumventing around the fact that we are supposed to work
towards end-to-end network awareness. If I understand correctly, the hole point
of this is to allow Konqueror to "jump" from host a to host b to host c via SSH,
right?  Why not perhaps either unblock the firewall or ensure end-to-end
communication?  This seems like a band-aid over a network infrastructure problem.

Quoting Jens Benecke <kded@jensbenecke.de>:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 11:21:44PM +0100, Jörg Walter wrote:
>
> > fish://root%foo@example.com - connect foo@example.com, su to root.
> > fish://bar=internal.example.com%foo@example.com
> >    - connect foo@example.com, connect from there to
> bar@internal.example.com
> > fish://root%bar=internal.example.com%foo@example.com
> >    - connect foo@example.com, connect from there to
> bar@internal.example.com,
> >      then on that machine su to root
> > and so on.
>
> ARGH!
>
> Are you seriously considering this syntax for people who do NOT want to
> learn any command line commands? ;)
>
> There needs to be a "Connect" dialog window if you just enter "fish://"
> with username, password, host, perhaps "Gateway username/pw/host" and
> authentication method (ie. direct, SU, SUDO). This window could pop up
> when someone enters fish://some.machine.net (without username/pw in the
> URL).
>
> --
> mfg, Jens Benecke
>
> QOTD: The Internet is not a network of machines. It's a network of PEOPLE.
>       That's where its real power comes from.
>
> http://www.rb-hosting.de - Webhosting mit Extras
> Werbefreies Hosting ab ¤7 - SSH-Zugang ab ¤19 - Günstiger Traffic

> <<

    suerte,

    Rudd-O