List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating BitTorrent
From:       "Petter E. Stokke" <gibreel () project23 ! no>
Date:       2003-05-28 16:22:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 17:18, David Bishop wrote:
> > And you'd need to have Python installed, and BitTorrent for Python,
> > and let's not forget PyQt... it'd be a mess of dependencies, and
> > very far from a clean implementation.
>
> But you need python *for* BitTorrent.  That's what it's written in...
> So the only dependency on top of what you need for BT would be PyQT.
> Now that PyQT ships with Debian, that's not *too* much of a stretch,
> is it?  (And yes, I *do* believe that the world centers around debian.
> Why do you ask?)  Or rather, saying that writting something in PyQT
> wouldn't be feasible because the end result requires PyQT, well,
> that's kind of circular, isn't it?

No, no, what I'm proposing is to reimplement the BitTorrent protocol
in C++, thus eliminating the need for Python altogether. Also, PyQt
wouldn't be of any use in interfacing the pre-existing BitTorrent code
with a KDE application written in C++, it works the other way round;
it'd be good for writing a Qt GUI in Python on top of BitTorrent, but
that's not what I'm aiming for - I'd like a native KDE application,
one that would fit snugly into kdenetwork some day, and that rather
implies C++ all the way.

Besides, there's the hack value in implementing the BitTorrent protocol
in a new language to consider, although it's hard to top the mldonkey
developers' implementation in a language as weird as OCaml. :)

> > I'm the lead developer of kmldonkey, so I guess I know what you're
> > getting at. :)
>
> I'll take this op. to thank you, then.  In fact, I think I sent you
> an email a while ago to say thanks, and kmldonkey has just gotten
> better since then...  To wander *completely* off-topic, have you
> considered changing the order of the tabs in the gui?  I would think
> that nobody ever looks at the server tab, going straight for the
> downloads, but the server tab is what you see, everytime you open it
> "new".  </end of OT-rambling>

I'll try to stay off-topic as briefly as possible, then, and say thank
you, and that on my todo list is a feature that remembers the last tab
you were on and opens that by default when you launch it. :)

> I'm afraid I don't really understand what you mean here.  mldonkey's
> BT implementation?  mldonkey does bittorrent?

Yes, it does, since version 2.4-something. Not well enough to replace
the original client yet, but hopefully it's getting there.

--
Petter E. Stokke <gibreel@project23.no> http://www.gibreel.net/
PGP key: http://www.gibreel.net/key.asc