List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdenonbeta/kdelirc
From:       Gav Wood <gav () indigoarchive ! net>
Date:       2003-05-28 14:40:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 13:44, George Staikos wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 May 2003 16:42, Gav Wood wrote:
> > i more or less answered that above. finglonger introduces "profiles",
> > which appear to be essentially modes of operation, but inherently
> > slightly restrictive since each mode must have only one application's
> > features in it. it also attempts to map remote controls button sets to a
> > standard button set "PLAY", "STOP", "REWIND", "RED",.... in order to make
> > application-remote control mapping easier.
> >
> > i developed kcmlirc to be highly configurable - i have modes of
> > operation, which allows more flexible bindings (no restriction of one
> > program per mode) (with a cost of extra complexity --- but that could be
> > simplified with a good ui).
>
>   I think the most important feature of such a subsystem is that it must
> allow the user to take something like a universal remote and use it to
> control multiple apps.  Therefore it has to have state and allow switching
> of profiles.  The user should be able to hit the "Stereo" button on the
> remote, and suddenly the remote allows the user to control, for instance,
> noatun. Then hitting "TV" allows control of kwintv.  This doesn't mean that
> a subset of the remote is used for each app exclusively, but that the whole
> remote switches over.  This is consistant with the design of the remotes,
> and what people do with consumer electronics too.

yes indeed.

modes of operation allow exactly this; in a very flexible manner. (for the
computer science inclined among readers essentially giving the user a finate
state automaton).

unlike finglonger, which afaict allows only one application per state, kcmlirc
is designed to allow any any all applications in any and all states.

the difference is subtle, but for instance kcmlirc will allow a "music" mode
of a remote control to use its buttons to control, say kmix *and* noatun
inaddition to a "video" mode to use the same buttons to control both kwintv
*and* kxine.

afaict (though i'm not 100% sure!) finglonger could not allow this since it
seems to allow only one application per mode. (i.e. it could use the same
keys for different jobs, but not have one subset of keys control kmix and
another subset control noatun at once).

gav