List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Absolute offsets in konqueror
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-05-23 2:25:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Robin Atwood wrote:
>I am not an expert, so is this bad rendering by konqi or use of M$-specific
>extensions. My colleague swears he sticks to the standards and avoids
>browser-specific coding.

The site renders fine in my old CVS build. Except for font size differences
between Konqueror and Mozilla, the two pages shown are absolutely identical.
Ok, there is a small gap to the right of every image, but then again, since
my build is quite old, it's hardly authoritative.

On the other hand, the validation site (which Konqueror can easily show by
going to Tools | Validate Webpage | Validate HTML) says the site is not valid
HTML 2.0. Indeed, it's NOT HTML 2.0 in any way (yes, 2.0, not 4.0). Maybe
your friend should start by making the site valid before starting to complain
that a browser is "crap" and "very back-level".

In my experience, except for very few very complex sites, Konqueror renders
fine every site. And fast. And more so since the Safari merge (thanks Apple
guys) and the speed enhancements in HEAD. And I'm talking about a build
almost two months old. When it doesn't, in most cases, it's the webmaster's
fault.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom@mail.com