List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kde 3.1.1 c&p and d&d tweaks
From:       Stefano Borini <munehiro () ferrara ! linux ! it>
Date:       2003-05-18 8:39:38

i noted some c&p and d&d tweaks in kde 3.1.1. I dont' know if it's more a
usability problem or a pure bug, so before filing a bug report i'd like
to know your opinion.

test1:

open konqueror, go to slashdot. from the location bar do a drag&drop
on the desktop to produce an http link.
Now close konqueror, then drag&drop from the previously created icon
to the konqueror icon on the kicker.
KDE replies
"Do you really want to execute
'file:/home/stef/Desktop/http:%252f%252fslashdot.org%252f.desktop"

Here the first tweak. From the usability point of view, this message
is not usable, since
a) the escaped chars are not de-escaped, compromising the reading.
b) the user does not need to know the path of the link. A message like
"do you really visit the selected www link?" or no message at all should
be better (do you receive that message when you purely click
on the link? since the reply is no, why prompt the user when this use
case is applied?)

Now click "no" on the dialog: an instance of konqueror is started.
The location bar shows "file:/home/stef/Desktop/http:%252f%252fslashdot.org%252f.desktop"
and an empty page. That's strange, and against the assumption we clicked
"no" at the request.

Now suppose we clicked "Yes". Two konqueror run, one as stated above,
the other with the slashdot page. This is coherent, following the
.desktop logic, but completely absurd from the user point of view.

Ok. Test 2:
Close the instances of konqueror popped up before, then start kget.
right click the slashdot link icon, select "copy"
Go on the kget instance, choose file->paste. A dialog pops up
asking

Open transfert
file:/home/stef/Desktop/http:%252f%252fslashdot.org%252f.desktop

here the same problem stated above about the filename is applied.
The URL should be more interesting.
Moreover, the clean button is redundant, since the pasted link is
highlighted and can be deleted with a single backspace hit.

Let's say "ok, get that page". A save dialog pops up. We write foo.html
as filename and choose ok. Now foo.html contains

[Desktop Entry]
Icon=www
Type=Link
URL=http://slashdot.org/

that is obviously not what the user expects from kget.