On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:34:56PM +0200, Alexander Neundorf wrote: > a user of the lisa daemon(kdenetwork/lanbrowsing/lisa) asked for a pid-file > feature for lisa. > How do I implement this correctly ? > i suggest you look at kdm/backend/dm.c > On my system a bunch of pidfiles are under /var/run/. > yes > AFAIK a pidfile is a simple text file which contains the pid of the daemon > process. > yup > I guess I should create it as soon as the daemon starts > ... and lock it ... > and write the pid > yup > and delete it when the daemon is killed ? > no need to. it can't hurt, though. > Then the pidfile will be left over when the daemon was killed by > SIGKILL. Is this the correct behaviour ? > yes. that's why you should rely on locking and not on existence. locks are bound to processes, files aren't. > I guess "normal" ownership and 0644 permissions should be ok, right ? > sure greetings -- Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature, please! -- Chaos, panic, and disorder - my work here is done. >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<