List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storing passwords
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2003-04-28 14:19:14

On piątek 25 kwiecień 2003 07:29 pm, Unai Garro Arrazola wrote:
> >no need to, just make sure the file where the passwd will go to be only
> >read/writeable by the user, i.e., perms like 0600. check out kppp's code
> > for an example on how to achieve this.
>
> Thanks for the idea, changing the permissions would do to keep it safe from
> others, but still, I think it's a good idea to encrypt the password.

You are requesting something that doesn't make sense :)

If you encrypt the password, you need another password/key to decrypt it.
Either your program will have that key fixed insode of it (as kmail does),
then it's only obfuscation that provides no real security, or you will have
to enter it each time, where a kwallet-type arrangement is much better.

Cheers, Kuba Ober