List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storing passwords
From:       Unai Garro Arrazola <Unai.Garro () ee ! ed ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-04-26 6:27:55

> Are you requiring the users to reenter their passwords, and only using
> the stored password for verification? Then simply store a hash (md5 or
> other) of the password. Then you can simply compare hashes.

Well, that's not my intention for now at least. I'd like to avoid the user the
need to retype the password. Verifying the password will be the task of the
MySQL server.

I just noticed that Kmail actually does what I want with the POP3
configuration. One has the chance to save the password locally, and the
password is stored encrypted somehow in kmailrc.

I think I'll have a look at how kmail does it....

Thanks for the help,

	Unai