List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Dear KDE DEVELOPERS
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2003-04-25 13:06:05

On poniedziałek 21 kwiecień 2003 10:40 pm, David Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 21 April 2003 10:41 am, Omon Edeki wrote:
> > The reason why I emailed this group is because when you logut from
> > kde in solaris, you are switched to the console "/dev/console" --
> > thats the effect I wanted to achieve.Any suggestions on how to write
> > code that does this?
>
> Is there some sort of problem in this area under Linux? I'm using
> FreeBSD with a stock XFree86 and KDE. Logging out takes me back to
> either KDM or the console (ttyv1), depending upon how I logged in.
> There is nothing special that KDE does, it merely quits and you are
> back wherever you started from.

There's no problem at all. Linux behaves much like Solaris, after logging out
you get back to kdm or to the console you started from.

The guy simply doesn't know how to explicitly swith virtual consoles under
Solaris, while he does know how to do it under Linux via an ioctl.

I guess one should look first at whether there's an equivalent of open(1)
under Solaris. At least under linux, you don't even need ioctls, just fork &
exec "open -c1 -s -- command arguments"

Cheers, Kuba Ober