List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Does anyone use pkg-config files for kde, qt?
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-24 22:12:07

On Thursday 24 April 2003 18:06, Dan Armak wrote:
> I was wondering if there are distros around that install pkgconfig files
> for kdelibs and/or qt to enable several versions of each to be installed
> and easily located. And, if not, what other interesting solutions there are
> that other distros might employ.
>
> In gentoo we enable major versions of qt (2.x, 3.x...) and minor versions
> of kde (3.0x, 3.1x...) to be installed side by side. The procedure for
> making portage compile against a user-installed qt or kde in a custom
> location is ugly, in fact barely supported. I was looking at using .pc
> files for a more generic scheme, because the user can provide his own to
> tell the system where various qt/kdes are. This is only a preliminary idea
> though, I'm open to any other ideas and suggestions...

  We cannot depend on or rely on pkg-config for KDE, at least not for a while.
(this is for portability to other platforms, and to avoid breaking old
systems and forcing endless upgrades) However I think the plan is to make use
of it in 3.2.0.  it might be a good idea to start investigating how KDE will
make use of it.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer					http://www.kde.org/