List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Styles and CO (was: (offtopic) My mom is a born hacker)
From:       David Johnson <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2003-04-24 3:00:59

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 12:15 am, Gerold J. Wucherpfennig wrote:

> Now you got me :-x
> I wanted to express that we're still far away from the ease of use of
> Windows (please don't flame me ;-)
> and that's one of the reasons why many people use Windows instead
> of one of the few UNICES.
> We can do better than Windows and shouldn't let the distributer
> do the whole job. This will lead to more KDE forks (RH,MDK,...).

I promise not to flame, but I will counter your hypotheses with some of
my own. These are in terms of the *desktop*, and not installation,
configuration or hardware support by manufacturers:

1) Windows is easier to use for experienced Windows users, while KDE is
easier to use for experienced KDE users.

2) For brand new users having no experience with either desktop, or
similar desktops, I seriously doubt that Windows is significantly
easier than KDE, Gnome, Windowmaker, etc.

3) But brand new users are insecure, and they will be more likely to
feel comfortable with a desktop that is also used by their neighbors,
relatives and coworkers.

Overall, I sincerely believe that we HAVE done better than Windows. But
most people can't see this because they know Windows but don't know
KDE.

--
David Johnson