List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kded cpu usage
From:       Josef Weidendorfer <Josef.Weidendorfer () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-04-09 18:19:02

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 03:26, Sarang Lakare wrote:
> > Attaching strace to a process with process ID <PID>:
> >
> > 	strace -p <PID>
>
> I am attaching the output. Looks like it lstats a lot of files. I have
> attached output of a few seconds. The processes pauses between these:
> gettimeofday({1049855001, 793797}, NULL) = 0
> select(11, [3 4 5 7 10], [], [], {0, 498216}) = 0 (Timeout)
>
> for a while and then continues again in a loop...

As I said, this is the busy polling loop, quite fine from the view of KDE:
kded *has* to do this to detect system changes because FAM isn't running.

This seems to be a configuration/installation problem of your distribution.
Somewhere in the boot process "fam -T 0" should be started. Or add it
yourself. For a quick test you can start "fam -d" (with debug output) in a
shell and do "kdeinit" in another (this restarts kded).

Josef