List:       kde-devel
Subject:    My status update
From:       Daniel Duley <dan.duley () verizon ! net>
Date:       2003-04-09 2:09:24

Hi guys and gals!

As some of you know I've been on hiatus waiting to get a better machine. I've
been using an AMDK6 450Mhz/128M RAM box and it was just taking too much time
to compile everything in order to stay current. I've never had a problem
running KDE but compiling X, Qt, etc... was taking too much of my time -
something I'm in short supply in these days.

Well, people have really come through and I've now gotten an AMD
1.4Gigahertz/512M machine! It's faster than my work machine :) I'm still
waiting on some more disk but I've been able to compile my base Linux system.

I'm still technically on hiatus until I get the rest of the disk and finish
compiling everything but I'm around now if you want to email me or discuss
things.

I'm building this system from source which is turning out to be a ton of fun.
LFS, (Linux from scratch - not the LFS standard ;-),  is a great resource for
this if your interested in doing such a thing. I'm not building an LFS system
per se, I'm using different software versions and my own fs layout, but the
base LFS documentation is invaluable for pointing out what you need to
download and configure, what apps don't like certain gcc opts, etc... Now I'm
on configuring all the little stuff to my liking: bash, lynx, vi, and so on
:)

Once I'm all set up I'll update my site. Haven't installed openssh yet, gotta
do that... >:)