List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions regarding kghostview
From:       "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2003-04-08 14:58:25

Please, note, I am not a kghostview maintainer...

This said, I could try to answer:

> 1: Is it possible search for text in kghostview?  xpdf does this.

Technically it is possible. The windows client for gs (gsview) does allow
this. This is especially true for Postscript documents, but PDF documents
are converted to Postscript internally in PS.
Please also note that you can only look for explicit text in PDF/PS. There
is also the way to embed text as its curves / outlines, which disables text
search.
I am not quite sure if Linux ghostscript clients implement text search.
This would be addtional functionality, i.e. you cannot use ghostscript
directly to do this.

> 3: What are generally the advantages using gs to render the PDF file
>   instead of rendering the PDF file directly as xpdf does this?

Postscript and PDF are slightly different file formats but with a similar
semantic. This means, if you have a infrastructure for rendering Postscript
in place, parsing and rendering PDF would be easier.

Besides of Ghostscript, there exist no useable free rendering system for
Postscript like graphics, yet. There exist, however, some attempts to use
xpdf code for a KDE parser. I think the code is in kdenonbeat/pdfimport.
At least currently this code is used to extract text from PDF and create
KWord documents from it.

Regards
Dirk