List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kded cpu usage
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-07 1:14:19

On Saturday 05 April 2003 22:58, Sarang Lakare wrote:
> On Saturday 05 April 2003 09:42 pm, George Staikos wrote:
> >   Can you profile it, or even try occasionally attaching gdb to see what
> > it's doing?
>
> How do I do this? KDE is the default KDE that comes with Mandrake.. so it
> won't have debugging info in there..

   Well you can recompile it if you like.

> >    Which modules are loaded?
>
> Most of the On-demand modules are loaded. I closed all the start-up
> services.. still no difference.
>
> btw, if I ssh to the box and start kcontrol, it shows a different config
> for the kded modules than the one I see on the monitor connected to the
> machine. When I do top, looks like one more kded is running! How does one
> change the kded config from an ssh session then?

   It makes a big difference which ones are running.  For instance, for me,
kded never uses more than 0.0% of cpu according to top and ps.  I have
loaded: cookiejar, favicon, password, kssld, kalarmd, kinternet, mount
watcher, kmilo (backported from HEAD), kwrited.  Maybe you have some
different module that is causing it.  If not, then either one of those
modules is acting up, or there is a bug in kded itself.

--
George Staikos
 ...  Yes, my KDE talk at Real World Linux was cancelled on me.