List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: IBM ViaVoice for KDE
From:       Aryan Ameri <a.ameri () linuxiran ! org>
Date:       2003-04-04 16:09:06

On Friday 04 April 2003 19:00, Volker Augustin wrote:
> Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> > Over two years ago there was the announcement that ViaVoice was
> > going to be
> > integrated with Qt/KDE.  Maybe a year or later came another
> > announcement that the project was still progressing, despite that
> > no one had heard anything
> > more about it. *grin*  Has anyone know if the project has been
> > officially dropped?
>
> Hello Ellis,
>
> a while ago I searched for ViaVoice for Linux on IBM's website and
> found that support had been dropped. Talking to someone from Deckarm
> AG, an IBM partner company at CeBit 2003 I was told that ViaVoice for
> Linux should be available again the week after CeBit.

AFAIK It wasn't just ViaVoice for Linux. The project's aim was to
integrate ViaVoice's speech recognition engine, with Qt and KDE. Thus
e.g. enabling users to navigate KDE menus via voice commands. (And I
guess this also meant that the speech recognition engine should be GPL
or QPL). If really something (big) like this was ever going to happen,
atleast some KDE developers should have been aware of it.

Cheers
--
/* My name is Jehovah. I have a special plan to save the universe, but
because of heavenly security reasons I can't tell you what that plan