List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: pkg-config, glib2 etc.
From:       Marc Espie <espie () quatramaran ! ens ! fr>
Date:       2003-04-03 0:43:15

In article <200304011904.59314.kde@arnoldarts.de> you write:
>On Tuesday 01 April 2003 17:10, Matthias Kretz wrote:
>> On Sunday March 30 2003 17:56, Marc Espie wrote:
>> > Not only that, but arts isn't even appropriate for real time audio.
>> That statement is not entirely right. I was using aRts with a latency (the
>> value the KControl module showed) of 8ms to process the sound of a drum
>> pad. The delay was not bad enough to give me a "wrong feeling" when playing
>> the pad. ;-)
>
>I did use 8ms and artsdsp to watch movies...

This just means you've got fast enough hardware to handle such small delays.
Post-synchronization is much better, because you can work with much tighter
constraints. Machines which are near the edge where real-time video performance
is concerned will work with post-synchronization. They will skip with small
delays.