List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: UI Inconsistency OK APPLY buttons
From:       Aryan Ameri <a.ameri () linuxiran ! org>
Date:       2003-03-31 22:22:01

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 00:43, Martin Willers wrote:
> On Monday 31 March 2003 23:30, Ladislav Strojil wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > "Click Apply to accept changes to the listbox widget. Click OK to
> > > leave the dialog once the changes have been accepted. Click
> > > Cancel to leave the dialog without saving any changes."
> > >
> > > I think this is the rule we follow, but the explanation is
> > > confusing, since you don't know if clicking on Cancel will not
> > > save any changes since the dialog appeared or since the last time
> > > you've pressed Apply.
> > >
> > > I propose to revise this for KDE 4 and try to be consistent about
> > > what Cancel means. Until that a whatsthis text for Cancel and
> > > Apply would also help together with some explanation in the KDE
> > > help.
> >
> > I don't think this wise.
> > Just accept that "Apply" saves the settings.
> > OK saves and exits.
> > Cancel exits without saving.
> >
> > If you save and then exit without saving, you should not expect to
> > have old settings restored.
>
> Intuitively, I wouldn't expect an "Apply"-button to actually +save+
> anything (ie. to file). - It just updates the application's current
> running-state. Only the "OK"-button makes this change persistent (ie.
> saves to config).

I don't think so, I guess the OK and Apply should do the same thing,
only that OK exits from the application, while apply still lets the
user work with the application. IMHO Apply should actually +save+
everything.

Besides, because that's how Windows, Mac, Gnome and most other *nix
windows managers behave, I think users are accustomed to it. Thus I
don't think the current behaviour should be changed.

Just my couple of cents.

--

/* Those who do not understand Unix
 *are condemned to reinvent it, poorly */